Friday, September 19, 2008
BAINGAN BHARTA (My own easy technique)
Mode - Microwave
Time - preparation -20 minutes, microwave -15 minutes
Utensils - (1) Microwave safe big glass bowl
(A) 1 baingan (Egg plant)- about 250 to 300 grams
(B) 2 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic, 1 tsp finely chopped green chilly, 2 cups finely chopped onion,
(C) 2 cups finely chopped tomato, salt - red chilly powder to taste, kashmiri mirch powder ( for colour), 1/4 tsp garam masala,
(D) finely chopped coriander
(1) Remove stem of egg plant, wash and give 4-5 slits on it with knife. Apply oil oll over and microwave on high power for 4 minutes. Turn and microwave again on high power for 2 minutes. Now hold this cooked egg plant in tong and burn it's outer skin on gas flame. Burn completely, it will take 3 -4 minutes time. Then cover and keep aside for 10 minutes. Now put it in plenty of water and remove all burnt skin and mash it.
(2) In a glass bowl take oil, onion, garlic, green chilly. Mix and microwave covered on high power for 2 minutes. Then mix tomato, salt - red chilly powder, kashmiri mirch powder and garam masala. Microwave covered on high power for 6 to 8 minutes. Mix mashed egg plant in it and Microwave covered on high power for 2 minutes. Mix half coriander in it.
(3) Garnish with remaining coriander and serve hot (with paratha or Roti)
Aai's special tips -
(1) Use microwave for cooking and gas stove for burning outer skin of egg plant. This is a best combination and gives nice smoke effect.
(2) It is easy to remove burnt skin of egg plant in water.
Posted by sudha kulkarni